Installing My Kitchen Backsplash

It's done! The kitchen backslash is installed and is actually looking quite remarkable, if I do say so myself. I have been putting off house "jobs" during the summer months because who really wants to be inside, in a non-air conditioned house doing manual labour, right? However,  in order to complete the kitchen cabinetry details, I needed to install the back splash. Having experienced this once before, I knew what to do, but completely forgot how to do it.

Before


Luckily, I have handy uncles, who supplied me with a bin full of tiling tools and even a tile cutter. Seriously, I am so blessed to have people like this in my life, who are so generous with their things!


Now actually getting started...Nick and I watched THIS VIDEO to make sure we had all the right tools and materials we needed to proceed. It then also walked us through the whole tiling process. My suggestion...watch the video first, make a list of all the things you need, gather all materials and supplies, and then pick an install date. I found this video really helpful in organizing my tools as well as learning the steps, so thank you Home Depot!



This is Nick (above) trying to figure out how to keep things level. Because my cabinetry was slightly off, we needed to ensure that the lines of the subway tiles would still be level or else it would throw the whole thing off. Hot Tip...plan, plan, plan everything ahead. Before you start, make sure you have drawn level lines in many places to ensure that you will have everything straight! This is the stuff I lack in....Nick, however, is patient and an expert in this area...


Again, planning out how the tile will lie. It was worth the extra effort.


And so it begins. I was on the tiling, while Nick manned the tile cutter, which we found out, is a rather messy job. He was covered in tile dust by the end of the day...I mean covered! His hair was actually gray from the dust. Okay, you get my point.


From here...we carried on with all the steps. I stopped taking photos cause I had to work BUT the video truly does help so watch it if you are going to take this task on.



And the finished product! As you can see, I choose a creamy, standard subway tile, to keep things simple. With the splashy granite, I didn't want a backsplash that would compete. I did, however, choose a light gray for the grout to give some interest and break up the sea of white.




Some final tips from me after this experience...

- Individual tiles are more difficult than sheets of 12"x12" mosaics. If you are doing it for your first time, consider those for ease of time and levelling!

-It will take 2 days. One day you will set the tile, the next you grout. Leave enough time for your kitchen to be a mess for at least 48 hrs.

- I cannot say this enough...double, triple, quadruple your level lines! 

- If you have the time and patience, you really can do it yourself! Installation of a backsplash is usually around $1000. If you can get your hands on the right tools, I would recommend doing it yourself!

Aside from that, I think that both Nick and I were pleasantly surprised at how painless the process was! So, if we can do it, I bet you can too!!

Now...for those last cabinetry details...