Baby Food and an 8 month old

Oscar just turned 8 months old. It seems like yesterday he couldn't hold his head up, and now he's doing the worm across the floor, figuring out how to get to MakMak the cat, or crawl over to me from across the room.

For a few months now we've been introducing new foods to the little guy. First was rice, then it was peas, sweet potatoes, carrots, bananas and blueberries. Recently I tried pureed turkey and he wrinkled his noes and gagged. I gagged too after I tasted it. I'm feeling apprehensive about what to do now, and I panic that I'm going to be feeding Oscar pureed foods for the rest of his life in fear that he will choke.
Joanna from A Cup of Jo brought up the same question, asking others if they had recommendations on what to feed babies, and I would love to know if anyone had any books. My Mom made up some batches of organic vegetables, apples and Bananas (Thanks Mom!) and Oscar is devouring them. Anyone have any cookbook suggestions? Or even just some words of advice on how to proceed?