It's Not a Barn, it's a Gambrel!

At first glance of the house, I thought the same thing, "What is up with that roof?" It was the one thing that I was unsure of about the house, but in the "hot" real estate market I was looking in, I couldn't be picky about such things; the house was in the right neighbourhood, and had all the things I was looking for, minus the roof. I have heard many comments about its structure, mostly negative (okay, constructive criticism!).  I have even been told that it looks like the house has a hat on, which on further review, it kinda does!



Unfortunately, it is out of the question to replace the roof due to it's sound structure and new shingles. Alas, I must embrace the roof and so I went to work researching the structure and how I can improve it!

I have now realized, after hours of research and curiosity, it is a gambrel roof, not a barn roof, to which I was referring to. Let me enlighten you on a gambrel roof, and maybe, you too will grow to love it in the end.


Gambrel roofs are....

a) Consisting of 2 symmetrical sloped sides, which creates the barn look

b) This structure is commonly used to increase usable space on the upper floor

c) Originates between 1600s -1800s, mainly seen along the East Coast, from Maine to Georgia on residential homes.  Now commonly used on barns...well, you don't say!?

d) Is a part of my house that would be too expensive to change so I am lovin' it's cute chapeau!

From the pictures, you can see that there is a varying degree of shapes, and although mine is flattest and lamest of them all, I hope to add some decoration such as a pediment or other simple details to help improve it's look!

All images found on google.com 




Any bright ideas to improve the facade of the roof? It is open for discussion!