Antique Hunting - Aberfoyle Antique Market

This past weekend was jammed packed with events; errands for the house, family dinner, frolf (frisbee golf), which we didn't actually get around to playing because we got to tied up at the Aberfoyle Antique Market. My close friend, Christy, has been dying to go to the market, and well, I am in the market for anything antique so it seemed like a fit. With that, Nick, Christy and I all piled into Nick's truck and headed up to the market. And what a place it was! 150 vendors, every Sunday so you can imagine the finds you can stumble upon. I am a tad early to be looking for furniture, a kitchen island or anything of that sort, but now I know in the back of my mind what kind of interesting things inhabit the market.

A taste of what the market looks like.

These type of outings can be overwhelming so be sure to know what you are looking for. Take measurements of spaces prior (and write it down), bring a tape measure and be sure to have a truck in case you purchase something unexpected and over sized. There were lots of trinkets near the front, but once you got deep into the "antique forest", as we started to call it, there is millions of possibilities.

As I walk around the market, I kept my eyes peeled for antique doors, hardware or anything interesting that may suit my space. In the end, I purchased an old hall rack that came as a set, but I asked for the mirror part only. Nick found a piece of Native Art and Christy bought a teal dish that is very retro-cool!

My antique find for the front foyer that has no closet space.


These are a few things I thought could be interesting pieces for your home; instead of buying new things that look old, get something that IS old and has a story!



For the photography enthusiasts, old cameras would be an interesting
conversation piece to have on display.  

This is an old factory cart, that is now commonly replicated and sold
as "new".At the market, you can get a genuine cart for approximately
$650. Sometimes less than what they are asking for in the stores. Most of

these are stamped with it's origin, giving it that extra touch!

Again, commonly seen in stores, using a real old tractor seat can
make for one cool stool. Just make sure that you know someone who
can weld. These things are heavy!

Table upon table had old tools of various types. If this is your thing,
the market will not disappoint. These artifacts make interesting home
accessories.

Here, I found an old box of maps (great for pictures) and an old
ironing board. The ironing board could be a funky
piece of art or I just thought it was neat, so I had to post it!


Heaps of old hardware at a reasonable cost! Again, better than
buying from a catalogue.


Perhaps I didn't find anything mind blowing, this time, however, it tweaked my interest to make another trip back before it closes for the fall and then once the house is ready for furniture accents. There is something to be said about discovering design of the old, and how unique it is today to us. It is true what they say, "they just don't make them the way they use to" and that is why people from all around come to these sorts of markets; to find some history, quality and uniqueness. So plan a day. Pack up the car and head to the market!

K