Siding to Shaker

I met with the siding guy today to discuss the options for my house. Siding has been a compromise. Of course, I would have put brick along on the new addition to create a seamless continuation between the old and new, however, money talks. Siding is inexpensive and relatively maintenance free for years. Alas, siding it is, no ifs, ands or buts. Choosing a siding colour was also not a simple task. I keep reminding everyone, "I do interiors, not exteriors!". I have not a clue to these sorts of things. I have no problem admitting my weakness and continue to learn as the house reno moves forward.

My window frames and mullions (the grills inside the glass) are a sand colour. These were kindly donated by Starward Homes. The colour is neutral and will go with anything. I was orginally guided to match the colour of my siding with the window trim colour, but after meeting with the siding professional today, I was told otherwise. He guided me to the new "it" colour, which is called Pebble. I am trusting him on this one, but since I lacked instinct for the colour selection, I am feeling confident!

As we did a "walk through" around the house to answer all his questions, we finally made it to the front of the house. Oh, the thorn in my side. The flat faced barn facade that I have been dying to change.

You remember this before picture of the facade?
The windows have been changed, updated and are not completely installed. We discussed a frieze board (a trim around the window) or flashing (another fancy word for a similar type of trim) but the siding profesh wouldn't have it. He said that they would have to take down all the siding to make that happen! What? Seriously? So now I am left with the question...chaulk in the windows (the white gooey stuff you see around your tubs, windows, etc. to seal in the "gaps") OR consider changing the siding. Which brings me to the point of this post...

Cedar shake is actually underneath the siding currently on my house. Cedar is a naturally water resistant wood that was not only used for siding but also roofs. Cedar shake had become dated, assuming, and someone thought to cover it up.  Well, I am here to tell you, I am bringing it back! The siding guy side he would do it for a reasonable cost, and it would be the best looking option! I couldn't agree more! Now my sad face will have some interest and depth.

Current front siding.

Shaker Siding to be added.

Perhaps some of you think, Cedar shake? That is so cottage and rustic, and I don't disagree. These days, cedar shake is not the same as it use to be. I will be using a "faux" cedar shake siding that will be the same colour as the back siding. No natural cedar here, mainly because of cost and it's not necessary. Continuity is key in design; keep all the colour palette continuing through the exterior and it will merry the house elements together. Here are some examples of cedar shake exteriors....

More contemporary version of Cedar Shake.
via


Rustic, natural cedar shake.
via
Natural cedar shake.
via