Before and After - Bedroom


This before and after is for my daughter's bedroom (and my youngest son, who is currently sharing with her until the renovations are completed and he gets his own room, but I think you'll see from the photos, it's much more a girl's bedroom).










This room was originally used as the Master Bedroom. It has a painted timber mantel and had several sets of wall sconces and a very ugly central light fitting. 













My daughter, who was two at the time that I planned her bedroom, wanted a Pink bedroom. Fairly typical for a little girl, but I am not a pink person - I'm more a blue person, so initially after going back and forth with her (she is fairly stubborn), I decided that I could do a pink room if it was balanced by a lot of white. It also all fell into place when I found the curtain fabric, Thibaut's Avalon  which is quite grown up with its beautiful birds and flowers, and which is definitely more of a deep Raspberry pink colour, rather than a pastel pink that is more commonly used in little girls rooms. I'm hopeful that the room will grow with her (although she is quite put out that the walls are not pink too....). Carpet was in the same charcoal used throughout the house, and the light fitting was a glass lantern, the same as used in the family bathroom. We also had shutters installed for privacy, as her room faces the front of the house. 










I chose a raspberry linen to upholster her headboard, and it has contrast piping and deep buttons in a lighter pink that is also in the curtains. The little armchair came from my in Law's house. It is very old and is quite small in scale - perfect for a child's room (not so much for their Library where it had lived for the past 100 years or so). It was reupholstered in a Brunschwig & Fils fabric, again with contrast piping in the same pink used for the headboard. There is a cushion still to come, I'm having it made out of a Pierre Frey offcut in pinks and whites.





















Furniture in the room is a bit of a mixed bag - the large Cedar wardrobe was left in the house by the previous owners. I could not understand why they'd leave such a lovely piece, until we went to move it from the room it was in (the room we took for our dressing room and bathroom) - it wouldn't fit through the door! Fortunately the builders dismantled the window and got it out and into E's bedroom, and it works well in the space (and saved having to pay for a built in wardrobe). 













The small Cedar chest of drawers also came from my in Law's house, and was used in the children's Nursery in Melbourne. It has a little Georgian mirror above it that was from my Grandfather in laws estate. No one else in the family was interested in it, but it's a pretty and small scaled one, and I loved it. 












The bookshelf came locally via eBay. It was in a shabby chic style with slightly yellowing chipped paint (it's a new piece, likely made in Indonesia to look like that from the start), and it was much cheaper than buying either new, or from IKEA. I filled the chips and painted it the same colour as the walls and woodwork. These are a fraction of the books that we have for the children - the playroom is overflowing with them. The bedside table is temporary - as we are at the ruining furniture stage, I've take away the pretty little Victorian table that was also from my Grandfather in Law's estate, and she can have it when she's older. 

















Artwork is fairly mixed. The large collage picture over the mantlepiece is from Tiggywinkle baby boutique in Toorak, Melbourne. The artist is called Nicole, and I just loved her pieces. It's got little buttons, feathers, glitter, and liberty scraps on it. Very sweet. 













The "art" over the bed are Eboo bird counting cards, which I put into IKEA frames. The cards cost $30 for 12, which I thought was good value. They used to be in the Nursery in Melbourne, but the white walls here needed colour on them.













The art next to the armchair are two Fifi Lapin prints, which I loved. Fifi is dressed in Couture such as the Prada and Chanel runway collections. It just makes me laugh. Around the room are some Love Mae wall decals that I had previously used in the children's playroom in Melbourne, and as they're moveable, I restuck them here. Little birds are perched on frames or light switches.










Poor little S has a corner at the moment. I have promised I'll make him a great bedroom once the renovations have finished!