This week - Surprise!

This has been a pretty busy week. I was vaguely thinking about what I'd write about it yesterday - I had to choose from: a Kindergarten concert on Tuesday night, Piano Recital on Thursday night, the Justine Clarke concert I took 4 year old E to on Saturday morning, Ballet concert today and most definitely about the dinner Mr AV and I were going out to at Press in the city last night to celebrate my 38th Birthday, which is today.



But things don't always go according to (my) plan. My usual bumbling around getting ready (feeding and bathing children, in between doing makeup, trying to curl my hair with the cover still on the curling wand) and selecting something to wear (I settled on a sequinned black Collette Dinnigan number that I bought 13 years ago to wear to our Engagement party). And finally we were out the door and dropping into Mr AV's parent's house to have a glass of champagne and collect my present before going on to dinner. I knew his parents were hosting a work cocktail function later that night, so we slowly strolled out to the garden to admire the arrangements when SURPRISE!! It was a party for me!






Surprise!



80 friends, some of whom had flown in from Melbourne (at this time of the year!) managed to keep this a total secret from me. Mr AV had arranged proper printed invitations, catering, waiters and one of our friends was MCing with a microphone. It was all quite overwhelming. You don't expect much for your 38th birthday, and Mr AV decided that after a pretty awful time over the past year he wanted us to end the year on a high, and celebrate with all the people in our lives.






Mr AV and his parents with me in shock



So I'm still buzzing about it 24 hours later - this was hands down the biggest surprise I've EVER had. I always thought I'd hate a surprise party, but it was so fun! Although it does prove that my husband is far sneakier than I ever gave him credit for. Slightly worrying. This photo below is from before I arrived - the MC was giving instructions, and telling everyone it was my 40th birthday. Unfortunately quite a few believed him.....







And I have been spoilt with lovely gifts (despite Mr AV telling everyone no presents as i have enough "stuff" as he termed it).



Firstly, I was right to be suspicious there was a Hermes box somewhere after his New York trip. Mr AV bought me this beautiful scarf, the circuit 24 Fauberg in Bergdorf Goodman.







The school mums gave me this gorgeous cabbage platter with little dip bowl thing on the corner.







Lots of gardening things (everyone knows I love gardening, so I've got new gardening clogs, vouchers to my favourite garden store in Adelaide, gardening books etc etc), Moet, flowers, lovely hand creams... I have been totally spoilt.



And it has indeed ended this year on a high. I was only saying earlier this week that I wanted to turn the page on this year - I've missed my mum more this past month than I did in the first month after her death. It's been a sad time, punctured by long bouts with Mr AV away, ratty end-of-year children, and pressure to complete plans and financial arrangements for our renovations. So, I do indeed feel very lucky to have such a wonderful partner by my side and so many friends to help me through this as well.



Hope you all had a great weekend as well. xx